The Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA) Executive Director (ED) must have the passion to provide strategic leadership and vision to strengthen and supports all industry professionals by advancing their interests, providing educational programs and opportunities, and promoting our unique form of quality social entertainment. And motivated to help the industry become the driving force in the entertainment industry, and a key tool in the education industry. The GAMA ED is poised and ready to move the organization to the next level at each step in its evolution.
PAY, LOCATION, AND BENEFITS
The position pays according to education and experience. The corporate headquarters for GAMA is in Columbus, Ohio, though the organization does have a number of telecommuting employees. The ED should be able to move to Columbus with a relocation date in January 2009. Some moving expenses may be paid. Telecommuting for the ED will be considered only for people who have experience with working virtually.
Benefits include: Health insurance is provided, Option for no-interest loan for computer, Option to put travel on personal miles cards and other reward cards, Vacation time of 120 hours a year (after a year, 40 until then), personal time of 40 hours a year, Con flex/comp time, mobile phone subsidy, parking subsidy, and some flexibility in office hours. Paid holidays are: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
GAMA, the Game Manufacturers Association
GAMA is the non-profit trade organization dedicated to serving the tabletop game industry. GAMA strengthens and supports all industry professionals by advancing their interests, providing educational programs and opportunities, and promoting our unique form of quality social entertainment. Led by publishers and manufacturers, GAMA promotes the interests of all persons involved in the commerce of games and game-related products.
Every year the game industry does business at the GAMA Trade Show, which is the industry’s biggest and longest-running trade event. At the Origins International Games Expo hosted by GAMA, over 15,000 people learn, play, and buy. And the rest of the year, GAMA promotes the social game industry with partnerships and trade show appearances throughout the country.
Learn more about GAMA and its programs at www.gama.org.
- Serves as spokesperson for the organization and must be able to articulate and promote GAMA’s vision, purpose, and mission
- Builds, motivates, manages, and promotes a high quality staff; interviewing, hiring and firing, training, planning, assigning and directing of work, appraising and managing performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems, recommending salary increases; and developing higher levels of expertise in staff members by encouraging further education, participation in work-related seminars and providing learning opportunities within the organization
- Maintains a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people
- Leads the short, long-range, and strategic planning process of the Board of Directors, ensuring that benchmarks are established for measuring success; and that the planning cycles recur as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- A proven decision maker with the ability to set priorities, manage, and implement them
- Develops, establishes, and maintains strong relationships with the entertainment, convention and meeting planning, publishing and manufacturing, and gaming communities
- Guides staff in planning and executing meetings and conventions
- Creates and develops programs to achieve the overall mission for GAMA; Reviews current practices and methods and initiates development of new ones as necessary to reduce costs, encourage growth and improve efficiency
- Develops strategic partnerships with appropriate organizations and people to advance the mission of GAMA
- Travel to meetings, conventions, and member and potential member companies to discuss, promote, sell, and support GAMA and GAMA’s programs; plus travel to training and other events as required to acquire and maintain proficiency in fulfilling the responsibilities of the position
- Develop and implement marketing strategies and programs to ensure the growth and stability of the organization
- Protects GAMA’s legal interests and maintains its operations within the law; works with outside counsel to obtain opinions or handle claims and litigation; maintains official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Responsible for the financial management of GAMA, including the development and implementation of the annual budget
- Tracks, guides, controls, and reports on the fiscal well-being of GAMA based on budgets approved by the board; providing for the appropriate control and accountability of all funds, physical assets and other property
- Creates and encourages a collegial and participatory virtual and actual work environment where trust, integrity, customer service, and open communication are valued
- Responsible for administration of overall operation of GAMA, including: reviewing and evaluating the results of program activities, ensuring that continuing contractual obligations are being fulfilled; allocating resources for greater program effectiveness and efficiency; developing organizational and administrative policies and program objectives for Board consideration
- Communicate regularly to the board and the membership on the progress and status of programs and financials; seeing that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it, publicizing the activities of the organization, its programs and goals; and represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public
Community, Volunteer, and Board Development
- Represents a strong cadre of volunteers, assuring their integration into the organization, culture, and leadership of GAMA
- Provides avenues for full and open communication and collaboration with the community at large and promote an awareness of the diverse and changing needs of the community
- Initiates and encourages collaboration and cooperation among other organizations and leaders. Assists in building a shared vision of how to address and solve shared issues
- Develops Board meeting agendas, in collaboration with the board president, and regularly provides information to the Board on activities in relation to the mission and progress toward the strategic goals
- Provides information and recommendations to the Board for setting or revising GAMA’s goals and objectives, operating policies, and strategic planning
- Senior management experience in either the not-for-profit or for-profit environments, not-for-profit a plus
- Experience with meeting planning, especially large conventions, to include contract negotiations and vendor management
- Ability to channel and synthesize expectations and needs of multiple constituencies including members and volunteers
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies; and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Should have an open and inclusive management style and be comfortable with working and resolving issues “in a fishbowl”
- Ability to manage personnel remotely
- Experience with fiscal management
- He/she should have a high level of comfort and passion for tabletop games and gaming
- Experience in working with an international community of people and organizations is a plus
- A highly regarded professional stature and credibility, coupled with strong leadership skills
- Effective at leading and managing highly independent and self-motivated employees and volunteers
- The ability to prioritize and tackle multiple tasks and see the “big picture” is key
- Maturity and sound judgment are essential
- Experience in setting strategic direction and driving it
- Experience with Microsoft, QuickBooks, and Adobe products is a plus
- Experience with networked systems and Web site management a plus
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, financial reports, legal documents, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; efficiently respond to questions from membership, staff and members of the community; communicate effectively in both written and oral form; and, effectively present information to membership, top management, public group, and/or board of directors
- Inspiring, creative, and visionary
- Entrepreneurial style and spirit
- Enjoys being in the company of creative people
- Excellent communicator with all people at every level, a leader and bridge-builder
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities
- Good judgment and consensus-building skills
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in experience is required; meeting planning credentials is a plus
- A base salary commensurate with experience plus health benefits
Send your resume, to include references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. These items are due by 15 October 2008. Please do not mail or fax anything. Also, please do not stop by the GAMA office. The hiring committee will review resumes and will be conducting phone interviews in the following two weeks. Final interviewing will occur in Columbus, Ohio on or around November 13 and 14, with hiring announced shortly after those dates.